Thursday, October 8, 2015

Pattern Review: New Look 6342; Sheath Dress with Overbodice

The Story
The story behind the first dress I made with this pattern is detailed here. I really liked the ease and fit of it that I used it to make another dress (the purple one below) for a friend's wedding when my first design wasn't turning out so great and I did not have a lot of time left (I finished the armhole facings, ironed the dress, put it on, added accessories and left for the wedding).

Pattern Description
Misses' Dress with or without Overbodice
Pattern includes sleeveless or short sleeve dress, sleeveless dress with overbodice and trim option, and short sleeve dress with overbodice.

Pattern Sizing
I cut a 10-14 because I am smaller on top than below. :p
I used gift tissue paper to trace out a 10 from the shoulders to the waistline and then a 14 from the waistline to the hem. Around the waistline, I used curved lines to join both halves for the dress bodice.
I cut a size 10 for the facings and the pieces for the overbodice.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it?
Yes (with consideration for the alterations I made).

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very easy and straightforward.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked how easy it was to make and all the possible variations available.
It's a basic sheath dress and gives the user room to try out various ideas.

I think a variation with a slit or kick pleat on the back bodice would have been a nice addition.

Fabric Used
African print fabric - 100% cotton.
Organza

Pattern alteration or any design changes you made
For the first dress, I made View C but with the sleeves for View D. I replaced the armhole facings with bias tape (I thought it would reduce bulk but in hindsight, the facings would have been better).

For the second dress, I made View D and I added about 5 inches to the length, 3 inches to the length of the front darts (lesson learned from the first one), 2 layers of gathered ruffles and a strip of ribbon. I also lined it this time.

Would you sew it again?
Yes!!!

Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, it would be great even for a beginner and could serve as a good foundation to try various design ideas.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment